Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Problems 16 and 17 resolved

On 16, I bid Stayman, and then bid 3H shortness after partner responded 2S. Partner made avery discouraging 4S call over that which I floated. Partner's hand was:

KJ7x KQx Kxx Kxx
(opposite)
98xx Axx AQJxx A

The spade Qx is on your left. Spades always makes five, while notrump will make five if you can guess the spades and 4 otherwise (assuming they lead a club.) So good guessers should play 3NT single-dummy, bad guessers 4S.

On 17, holding KQT97 9x KJ AQ86, after 1s 2h 2s 3c, I chose 4c. Partner bid 4H which I passed. This proved to be the right spot as partner held x AKJTx Qx Kxxxx. As I recall the heart hook was off and partner made 4.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would not open a strong 1NT with a minimum 15 count and an aceless and shapeless 4-3-3-3 hand. There are a lot of ten counts partner is automatically going to put you into game such as S xxx H Axx D xxxx C AQx etc. where it is going to be a struggle just to make 2NT.

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home